Delta Integrale Evo1 long term project

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
andy wright

Re: Delta Integrale Evo1 long term project

Post by andy wright »

[]Ah, Right. Intake temperatures. There is lots of scope for investigation here. I had the use of Guys laser thermometer for a couple of days. . Myninterest was the air temp. around the air filter compared to the area behind the radiator. I have done away with the standard Delta airbox and replaced it with a cone air filter,; then made an aluminium partition to close off the area around the filter from the rest of the engine bay. We all know the effect of rising air temperature on air density and the knock-on effect on engine performance.
Anyway, to cut to the chase. After 15 mins of pretty hard driving on a lovely warm afternoon (ambient air temp. of 22 degrees) the temp of the air filter was 24 degrees. The othe side of the partition was 28 degrees and the inlet manifold 32 degrees. Letting the car stand for just a minute and the manifold temp rose by 20 degrees ( heat soak) and after another minutes, well over 60 degrees.
My crude conclusion was that the partition did actually help to keep the intake temps down but i am not sure that the standard airbox would not hav better job.
Photograph of the filter and partition is on photobucket at http://s1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg501/blumadras
GC_20
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Delta Integrale Evo1 long term project

Post by Guy Croft »

rules on photo hosting relaxed in this case for this particularly over-worked and busy member (well-known to me) ...

G
Guy Croft, owner