Camber adjustment

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
cantfindausername

Camber adjustment

Post by cantfindausername »

Hi all,

I'm starting to make preperations for what I want to do to the car once i get it back. Paying a visit to G&G Motorsport on Friday to see it - I'm sooo excited!!

Anyway, one thing that I remember from a previous geometry session is that the camber isn't spot on. Its close but not perfect. The top mounts wouldn't allow such small alterations.

As such I'm thinking about getting some Camber Adjustment Bolts (bolts with a cam on them) - as these allow +/- 1.5 degree of adjustment. I'm also considering buying a Magnetic Camber Gauge that sticks on the brake disc so I can carry out the adjustment myself.

So my question would be about setting this up. What is the best way to do it? I'm guessing I'd need the car to be level as it would be on the road? How could you do this?

Thanks
Ant
Evodelta

Re: Camber adjustment

Post by Evodelta »

I would steer clear of these kind of adjusters, they are made by weakening the bolts by shaving half of it away. Either fit some proper ones (may need some maching doing to the struts/hubs) or fit the strut top type.

Setting up is relatively easy, a long spirit level, straight edge and 4No. 600sq paving slabs should be enough to fire your imagination....
cantfindausername

I didn't realise thats how they made them. I have heard that Toyota make specific sizes bolts that can adjust camber by a specific amount. Will have to investigate this a little more when I get the car.

Ant
TR-Spider

Post by TR-Spider »

Dependent on your strut design, there may also the possibility to enlarge the outer holes and place excentric washers there.
As example see last picture (courtesy Montehospital)

For the measurement, I recommend this cheap and effective solution.
Of course the car MUST stand on a leveled floor.
With the distance of the rim and the measured distance to the vertical, you can easily calculate camber.

Thomas
Größenänderung Drehen von IMGP0962.JPG
Größenänderung Drehen von IMGP0962.JPG (48 KiB) Viewed 7989 times
Größenänderung IMGP0963.JPG
Größenänderung IMGP0963.JPG (37.92 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
Montehospital excenter.jpg
Montehospital excenter.jpg (74.94 KiB) Viewed 7989 times
GC_23
Evodelta

Post by Evodelta »

Yes that's the type to get, I have them on my car, I got them from Leda and altered my Bilsteins to make them fit.

This is the type to avoid:

Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

MODEL POST!

Well done all concerned!

GC
cantfindausername

Thanks everyone, some great food for thought here and some ideas that I'd not even seen before!

Ant