Fiat 16V 2L 80Cº Thermostatic Valve Possible Option

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
dfom

Fiat 16V 2L 80Cº Thermostatic Valve Possible Option

Post by dfom »

Hy everybody,

I´m writting to report the results from a research that we have done here in Brazil for a replacemente for the original Fiat 2L 16V Thermo.
The results may be usefull for competition cars, since the part found here works at 80ºC (10 degrees lower than the original).

First we have opened the Thermo housing, as show at another Guy Croft Topic.
Them we went to a local auto store and foud an Thermo Element with compatible dimensions and 80ºC openning temperature.

The code from the supplier is VT242 ( MTE-THOSON from Brazil) This element is used here in Brazil for OMEGA and SILVERADO, GM cars. It´s rated for 80ºC.

Here are some pictures a friend of mine have done (the one who discovered this compatibility - Whose nick is Tempra_SX16v)

Left is GM OMEGA Thermo, right original 16V one. Same size.

New thermo elemente inside housing.

For closing the housing we are going to weld. Soon i´ll post more pictures with the housing closed.

Bye
Daniel Melo - Brazil
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Fiat 16V 2L 80Cº Thermostatic Valve Possible Option

Post by Guy Croft »

Very good Dan,

please keep us posted on this important topic,

G
dfom

Re: Fiat 16V 2L 80Cº Thermostatic Valve Possible Option

Post by dfom »

Hy everybody,

My friend installed the modified thermostatic valve. It worked perfectly for 2 weeks, temperature fine. Unfortunately after two weeks welding he had done for closing the housing simply cracked and housing is now totally damaged.

I´ve found the engine model this thermo element is used in. It´s used in a 4.1L 6 cilindre in-line GM engine. An old engine no loger built even here in brazil. But replacemente parts are easily found due to really big production.

So, i believe this thermo element will only be found here in Brazil. If someone outside Brazil wishes to try to replace the original 90º elemente by this one, please contact-me, i will be glad help buying one.

Lately i´ve found a better way for closing the housing. Luckly the housing has a few foundry remais areas that are big enough to allow us to introduce a 3 medium-sized bolts in them. These could be used to keep a "horseshoe" like piece of metal in front of the radiator out hose connector (the piece we remove for openning the housing), keeping this piece tight fixed against the housing. This way of closing would allow easy inspection inside housing even without removing it from the engine´s head. Only unscrew 3 bolts.

Bye (sorry about typos and erros!)
Daniel Melo - Brazil