spark plug choice for Peugeot 205 GTI track/sprint car

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
smckeown

spark plug choice for Peugeot 205 GTI track/sprint car

Post by smckeown »

This is one of the final areas I want to ensure is optimised for my purpose. The last thing I want is a spark plug to let the side down.

Currently I have BCP8ES (one grade cooler than the standard BCP7ES). But the car hasnt been driven in anger since they were fitted

I know competition 205s (like AB motorsport's) use more race oriented plugs.

So I have been offered these alternatives from an internet spark plug retailer, and just want to hear from other people with knowledge in this area. I have been doing some research myself into the design of the tip etc.

The short list I have been given is:
NGK
R7435-*
R7436-*
where '*' is the heat range (i.e. R7435-8, 9 or 10)

Denso
IK01-*
IK02-*
(* = 24, 27 or 31)

These are what the plugs look like in comparison:

BCP7ES:

R7435-8:

R7436-8 (with the shortened tip):

To recap on my engine, the power is up ~50% over standard, compression 2.5 points higher and revs up 1500 or so

Sean
205 8v Track car
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: spark plug choice for Peugeot 205 GTI track/sprint car

Post by Guy Croft »

Sean hi,

NGK race div B9EGV is what you need in that motor, gold palladium fine wire electrode, copper core, heat range right where you want it and no detonation (not from the plugs anyhow!).

GC
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

Thanks very much Guy, and they are reasonably priced too!
205 8v Track car
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

Hi guy, unfotunately these plugs you recommended won't fit, here are some replies from my supplier:

You may have issues with this part unless your advisor has used them before in your specific engine, they have a larger hex nut size and plug body than your standard plugs - can make fitting difficult if not impossible in some cases.

I asked them if there was a plug of the same 'specification' this was their reply:

Unfortunately not, Denso only make Iridium racing plugs in the correct size for your application and NGK only make Iridium and a few copper (which aren't generally available in the UK). If it doesn't need to be a true race plug then you could probably use something like BKR8EIX or BKR9EIX (same heat range as B9EGV). If you have adequate clearance for B9EGV and they will fit inside your plug caps then there is no issue with the recommendation you have received.
205 8v Track car