Removing sound deadening?

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
cantfindausername

Removing sound deadening?

Post by cantfindausername »

Just wondering what methods people have used to remove the sound deadening from their cars?
I've been reading up on heat guns + chisel, dry ice pellets, citrus solvent etc.

What have you guys used in the past?

Thanks,
Ant
Walezy

Re: Removing sound deadening?

Post by Walezy »

Heat gun and some chiesel is fine but If you can then heat the panel from the underside(where it is possible) then you will be able to take quite a lot of that sound deadening with ease as only the part that sticks to the floor will let go and the rest will be in one piece so this will let you remove without too much mess large pieces.
Try to preheat a bit larger area and then take it off at one time.
The other option and probably best will be to sandblast the shell but this requires the car to be completely stripped to bare shell.
Book#378
cantfindausername

Thanks. Good idea about heating from the ender side. But I think there is a treatment/underseal that might have trouble with the heat. Could be a can of worms.

Bareshell sandblasting is well out of the picture for now..... one day though!! hopefully!

Your comment about only heating the bit that is stuck is really pointing me towards a solvent for this purpose. I'm hoping it will get underneith the solid parts and just eat away at the sticky stuff.

Need more investigation me thinks...

Thanks,
Ant
Brooky

Post by Brooky »

This is what i did.

Heat gun to soften the tar stuff up, then scrape it off. Should look like this

I then used petrol to soften and disolve the rest of the suff up. keep on scraping and wiping, reapplying the petrol etc
Thats with three footwells done, and one in progress

Ive finished the job now, it took quite a long time, the the bag of poor removed was fairly heavy
cantfindausername

Thanks mate. Good results there. I've heard also that it takes an age to do this.

Did you have to repaint the floor once you'd finished?
Rich Ellingham

Post by Rich Ellingham »

I used a heat gun and stanley scraper, was quite easy. To clean up I use a wirebrush rotary air tool then primed and painted over the top after cleaning all other areas. Ant if you have a roll cage clean the welds and rust proof, I'm yet to find anything that actually works better then hammerite.

Rich
book 38
cantfindausername

I've not got a roll cage yet, but there is plans for Phill and Andy to knock one up for me. I'll be discussing that with them when I pick the car up.

I've got plenty hammerite, and think I'd probaly do the floor in matt black. I'm also looking at dash flocking too. Thinking that a dull/dark/matt interior will increase effectiveness of any dash lights/digi displays etc.
Brooky

Post by Brooky »

I will be respraying the floor eventially, i have to weld the front mounts for the cage in,and weld in harness mounting points for the 5th and 6th points. i might also be seam welding it, and there an extra bar i need to weld in to the cage fro harnesses to wrap round at the back, so just a little bit of work to do before spraying.

What car do you have?
cantfindausername

How long roughly does it take with the solvent/petrol method?

I've got a Toyota MR2 Turbo. So I'm hoping that there isn't much of this stuff in there
Brooky

Post by Brooky »

it took me a couple of afternoons