making custom dash

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
cantfindausername

making custom dash

Post by cantfindausername »

I'm looking into the possibility of making a custom dash/gauge cluster for my MR2, this will replace the standard set of dials (Speedo, tacho etc)

Has anyone on here made something similar using elec/mech. gauges rather than the likes of a Stack dash or Digi dash? I'm a big fan of the old sweeping dials so want to fit them all in there rather than having them scattered around the cabin. i.e A-pillar, dash top etc.

I'd be very interested to see examples of peoples work, along with any advice and tips etc that can be passed my way.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony
smckeown

Re: making custom dash

Post by smckeown »

I've has 2 custom dashes in my 205s, here they are:

And my latest one:

I havent got any better pics at the moment

Quick vid of the digital rev counter working http://track-monkey.co.uk/videos/misc/r ... orking.wmv

---

My advice would be to spend time deciding what gauges you actually need, items like fuel level are harder to sort. Ecen more obscure items like AFM are worth considering, depending on usage of the car. I also chose to place some items in the centre so I can manually datalog whilst filming at events.

Lastly stack are now selling at a very competative rates analogue gauges and matched sender for a very good price; both electrical and mechanical versions available.

Sean
205 8v Track car
Rich Ellingham

Post by Rich Ellingham »

Here's minem all racetech, oil pressure/temp capillary, water temp capillary, fuel level, tacho. I virtually never look at the gauges, rely on the shift light, and added a rad light - which comes on with the fan - thus if the lights on and I'm moving then the water temp is too high - allowed me to power it from the fan circuit. I glance at them occasioanlly and on the cool down lap. Pretty essential on the rolling road though. Only buy what you need, you cannot read a whole bank of gauges on a track, claerly defined coloured warning lights are very useful.

rich
book 38
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

I agree with rich above in that warning lights (and proper bright ones at that) are extremely important. I have 2 very bright LEDs for low oil pressure and shift, as you can see here:

That's one of the LEDs in the old dash, i've since transferred them to the new dash.

Another point to discuss is how any such warning lights will be controlled, either via duplicate senders or via the ECU.
205 8v Track car
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Call me old-fashioned. Sure. I like the older style analogue layouts.

Link to Wikipedia. Glorious examples of Gp C cockpits - from the 90s - published by a noted 'The359' motorsport photographer here:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... _qdr%3Dall

Not much missing there if you need a checklist.. might be something there that inspires you, who knows?!

GC
cantfindausername

Thanks for the links and pictures everyone.

The car is going to be a bit of an all rounder for some time until I decide what route I really want to follow - probaly track. I'm currently looking into the Stewart Warner Performance series of gauges if I go analogue.
The analogue style gauges are currently my first choice, but I'm also tempted by the flip side of the coin, which is the DigiDash2, Phill Lanes has recommened me this, and it would probaly work out cheap by quite a bit. It definately looks like a competent piece of kit too!

I think I need to wait until he's finished the car, drive it for a while and see what would suit the most. Asthetics, or function.

Definately got some food for thought here though. Will be looking into this quite a lot I think.

Thanks again,
Ant
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Since my NHRA involvement way back, I've been a big fan of Elliot tell-tale tachometers, if you don't know them see:

http://www.elliotdesign.co.uk/products/ ... ports.html

GC
cantfindausername

yes they're nice!!

I'm feeling quite specific when it comes to things like this. I'm wanting to get a complete set from 1 manufacturer if I can, to harmonise it. Still open to other places though, as I might find something that will sway me.
cantfindausername

One other thing that has been on my mind is what to monitor.

My list is this:
Water Temp
Oil Pressure
Oil Temp x2*
Fuel level x2**
Speedo + Tacho

* = I am thinking of monitoring oil temp before the oil cooler that I will be installing, and also after it to make sure that the oil going back into the engine is being cooled sufficiently. Is this worth doing or not?

** = I am also thinking of monitoring the fuel level in the swirl pot. I don't know for certain what the fuel system with consist of, but if it does have a swirl pot, is this again worth doing? I know they should in theory never run out but I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment to think of these possibly unacceptable things. Would it be worth just putting in a light for the level on the swirl pot rather than a complete gauge which potentially wont move very far.

Sorry for the barrage, I'm just trying to vent my questions.

Thanks,
Ant
Rich Ellingham

Post by Rich Ellingham »

Guy which is more importent to measure the incoming oil temp or the out going temp. I would get the outgoing temp as it would reflect the final lubricating temperature - although I image in the actualy temp on the bearing surfaces will be higher.

Ant - I think what you need is a fuel pressure gauge on the injector rail, if the level is low then this will reflect on that gauge. For the swirl pot is there a level sight ?- on the Rolling Road this potentially could be watched on a full power run to see if its emptying faster then being filled. On the road you may need a camera to do that with your particular car (Toyota MR2 turbo).

For me regarding digital dash I would get one to match my data logger, perhaps ecu wise you can use a compatible version - to be really meaingful the sensors for temp and pressure need calibrating. The analogue gauges are very simple, and still cost less then most digital dash's even with a stepper motor tacho - you have to get the engine sensors for stand alone systems unless they can utilise the ECU inputs with an output to the Dash. Central area network (CAN) compatible ounits can be mixed togather to achieve that.

Rich
book 38
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

I agree to the fuel pressure gauge, I was going to mention that. I also agree about having it fuel rail mounted. I've just switched from having an FSE adjustable regulator mounted near the firewall/bulkeah (yes near the exhaust manifold)..what can I say..I was nieve back then.. Now I have a fuel rail mounted fixed pressure regulator (with a take off for a gauge..that can be permenant or temporary during install/mapping)

here's a pic:

I had to get the fuel rail modified from a push on to screw fitment. It's now much safer and I have no joins from engine back all the way back to the fuel tank area, plus I got rid of that nasty FSE regulator!

Sean
205 8v Track car
cantfindausername

There is lots of datalogging on the ECU. Its a Pectel SQ6 that I'm having installed with a Custom loom.

Reason why I thought a level sensor rather than sight glass on the swirl pot is so it could be monitored on prolonged "high power" stints.

I'm not sure on the FPR side of things. All I know is that I'm having an 8 injector set up installed as part of this work.
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

cantfindausername wrote: I'm not sure on the FPR side of things. All I know is that I'm having an 8 injector set up installed as part of this work.
Well my advice, from someone who's spent thousands in the past on professional, get involved and use your brain! Learn..it will save you money and heartache :D

I have recently designed an 8 injector setup with great advice from people who have done it before and happy to share the knowledge, below is the fuel design:

The only difference in realisty to above is the regulator is now attached to the fuel rail
205 8v Track car
cantfindausername

I'll discuss it with him when I collect. Have kinda given him free run with it. But I'm familiar with most things car, so should be able to break it down once I get it back.

I had spec'd out a fuel system myself, but as Phill was going to do the tuning I decided to get him to do all the install of the turbo etc in 1 hit.
Rich Ellingham

Post by Rich Ellingham »

SQ6 very nice, I assume there will be a number of digital dashes that can work with that. In this case I would put electronic sensors on the fuel rail for pressure and maybe a level switch (you could use a lavel sender but more fabrication will be needed to fit - switch might be less work) and have it all connected to the ecu then select what you want to see on the display. You have a different set of options with that ECU then I do with mine, you could monitor many things and just switch between them, EGT, presure, temperatures etc. Use the power of the ECU as you've paid for its functionality.

Rich
book 38