Lsd into a Fiat 131 2000?

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
RedLexus

Lsd into a Fiat 131 2000?

Post by RedLexus »

Hey all , I've to fit an LSD into a friends 131 8v Rally Car , I'm not familiar with these , apparently there's Crush washers and stuff like that? I'm a reasonably competent mechanic , and have rebuilt/repaired angle boxes , transmissions and axles before , just wary of this as it's going to be in Competion! Anyone got any pictures or suggestions for me? Thanks in advance.
Ford Sigma KA. GC_43
Walezy

Re: Lsd into a Fiat 131 2000?

Post by Walezy »

If you are just replacing only diff and the main ratio stays the same then you need only to adjust the crown wheel left/right and this should be ok. The only problem is that you may require some distance washers that may be hard to find nowadays for Fiat 131.
If you want to replace the main ratio then the pinion must be set correctly forward/backward according to manufacturers specification. Actually without special tools it may be very difficult to make it properly. If you make it not accurately then the teeth will wear rapidly and you may even brake them ending with no power on the wheels.
I do not know any clearances for Fiat 131 diff as i never used it in my cars so please look for any service manual(maybe Haynes has those info).
Book#378
TR-Spider

Post by TR-Spider »

From Fiat 131 Manual:

Bearing preload of the diff side bearings 0.03 -0.05 mm (i.e. casing must be spread)
Tooth play between crownwheel and pinion 0.08-0.13mm.

If you have to replace the pinion, you need the Fiat tool to determine the correct distancer thickness. If I read the Fiat manual backwards, you could also recalculate it (however, I haven't done this)
If you only exchange the pinion bearings, be shure to compare the backside bearing thickness old/new. If there is a difference, the distancer thickness needs to be corrected.

Hope that helps.
Out of curiousity, what type of LSD you put in, photo maybe?
Can you tell us some characteristic size of the diff (number of bolts/ inner diameter of the crown wheel)?

Thomas
GC_23
RedLexus

Post by RedLexus »

I will do once he drops all to me!
Ford Sigma KA. GC_43