2L Fiat cranshaft lightening

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Piotrek125p

2L Fiat cranshaft lightening

Post by Piotrek125p »

Hi.

I am looking for information how to do a crankshaft lightening process properly. I now according to Your book that You are not a biggest fan of this operation in TC mainly for financial reasons but could we ignore for a while a finances and talk about teory of properly crank lightening ?

I saw a lot done this type of operation in many types of engine (in Fiat TC too) but often it looks like reckless job, especially with knife edging. Some folks make a TC cranks a simple flat parts like Abarth works cranks. The finished crank with this method looks quite good, they get off more that 2kg from it and they ensure that they do not have problems with balancing, but in my opinion this operation makes crank less resistant to harmonics and it could be a reason for badly engine failure (broken crank).

GC, could You explain in few words about methods of crank lightening, how to match good crank countweights mass etc. ? This is a very interesting thread for me from theoretical and practical view. I can do a machining of personally by me on very good machines after hours of my job, so from financial reasons this is worthfile to chat and maybe to done.

Sincerely Piotrek.
GC approved
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: 2L Fiat cranshaft lightening

Post by Guy Croft »

very sorry, no,

this subject I am not getting into!

GC
Guy Croft, owner
Piotrek125p

Post by Piotrek125p »

Ok, not problem.

I will do in future some test on a scrap crank. Could I share my results here ?
GC approved
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

sure but only after balancing..

GC
Guy Croft, owner