Experience with air filter in cold air stream

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Spider 1969

Experience with air filter in cold air stream

Post by Spider 1969 »

Hi,

I'm currently designing a cold air box with a remote K&N air filter for my Fiat 124 Spider. Idea is to locate the filter next and before to the radiator after the grill. This would mean the air filter is exposed directly to the airstream but also to dirt and rain. Does anybody have experience with this? Would driving in heavy showers affect the filter in any way?

I'd appreciate any experience or thoughts on this.

Regards,

Charles
GC_26
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Experience with air filter in cold air stream

Post by Guy Croft »

Use a K&N Apollo which has a forward facing metal lid..

GC
Guy Croft, owner
Will01

Post by Will01 »

Ok so i don't have alot of experience here but...
On my Alfa 156 GTA i left the standard intake system alone, but fitted a K&N filter in the original airbox.
It gets a good feed of air from the front valence and up into the wheel arch. There are plastic inner arch covers to stop water splash from wheel into airbox.
However i find that when i have travelled at speed on motorway in very wet condition the filter does get wet, in actual fact if you drive for prolonged periods like i used to do it use to throw up engine management issues as the car would start to missfire under load due to a wet filter. Obviously the cold feed was allowing water into the airbox. I think to rectify this it is better not to pull air flow from low down.
After this i did find the snorkel pipe which goes from top of inner arch to bottom of aribox was not fitted all that well, since ectifying the snorkel pipe it has always been fine.

With this in mind i would not put a filter in direct in flow of air without any protection from water.
Like Guy said, use a filter that has some sort of spalsh guard or lid.
GC_21
Spider 1969

Post by Spider 1969 »

Thanks Guy and Will

Charles
GC_26