Lancia Delta 8V intake manifold gasket/spacer

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
tmvolumex

Lancia Delta 8V intake manifold gasket/spacer

Post by tmvolumex »

The Lancia Delta, 8 valve engine uses what appears to be a high temperature plastic intake manifold gasket / spacer. At first I assumed it was phenolic, but after using a belt sander on it, it did not emit the characteristic phenolic smell, thus I think its a high temperature plastic. Its 0.200 inches or 5.1mm thick. It also has thin paper gasket material bonded to both sides. I don't have a Delta shop manual so I don't know if this gasket/spacer needs seperate gaskets installed on both sides or the thin paper gaskets bonded to the plastic spacer is sufficient. The paper gaskets seem pretty thin to be able to accommodate imperfections on the mating faces of the manifold and head. What does the Delta shop manual manual indicate?
Tom McG
GC_31
tmvolumex

Re: Lancia Delta 8V intake manifold gasket/spacer

Post by tmvolumex »

I forgot to add: I actually think this gasket/spacer is a thermal insulator to prevent excess heating of the intake charge due to heating of the intake manifold bolted to the engine cylinder head.
Tom
GC_31
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

No extra gaskets Tom but silicone sealant recommended around the water outlets on the head..

G
Guy Croft, owner
tmvolumex

Post by tmvolumex »

Thanks for the reply, Guy
Tom
GC_31