Building the ultimate Hillclimb engine

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Slim

Re: Building the ultimate Hillclimb engine

Post by Slim »

Will

It seems that variable geometry turbos (VGT) are mainly made for diesel engines. Porsche have developed one for the 911 but it would be way too big for my 1.4l engine!

Do you know what turbo you friend fitted to his Imp and what cc the engine was?

Liam
GC_36
Will01

Post by Will01 »

You are correct about the turbo's they are fitted to many diesel engines but are alos found ion more and more Petrol engines.
he one i think he used(could be wrong here) was taken from either a Audi A3 1.9tdi or Golf similar sized engine. Making a guess on year it was most probably post 2006 model. I have no contact with him so cannot check either. I do remember him mentioning concerns over seals, however i can't remember if there were no issues as standard or he actually repalced the seals in the turbo after giving it an overhaul.
The imp engine was one of the coverntry climax engines which i guess would be anywhere from 800-1100cc. He machined his own custom pistons and had work done here to run low compression. Not sure if he used some special coatings in the end or not. I really don't have details.
But i do remember him explaining that he had his VATN wound so it was mostly the small size, but to adjust he would get out and then had a mechanical arm where he could adjust the bolt length to vary the size of the turbo and therefore lag/boost.
Maybe internet research may find something, but it is something i would consider looking into if you want a bit of fun
GC_21
elderair

Post by elderair »

Put a set of Wosner 87.5mm 8.7:1 pistons in the 8v sporting 1.6 block with a Stilo 78.4 crank and give em a run for their money. Going to dyno this a.m. and will post what the N/A version has for torque and hp. You should be able to squeeze about 300 hp. out of that combo with the proper turbo and fuel injection. Then go mountain climbing. Dyno results for the N/A version of this engine are posted in the 1.9L stroker head gasket question thread.
GC_108
Slim

Post by Slim »

Elderair

I'm have reg's that put constraints on everything and I'm trying to work around these. Work is taking priority at the moment but I hope to get back on it soon. Your 1.9 stroker sounds lovely by the way!

Liam
GC_36