Headgasket for 8v TC 2.0 Lt & Sealed Airbox

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Kerem1967

Re: Headgasket for 8v TC 2.0 Lt & Sealed Airbox

Post by Kerem1967 »

Good Evening Guy,

Thank you very much indeed for your rapid reply.

I tried the pixresizer but could not manage to get it working right away - but I will try again. If you remove the gigantic photos then I can use the online program and re post the same images %70 smaller which is approx. 265 kb. If you want me to do that on my next posts then I will be prepared to do that.

Snapping belt. Yes, it is very strange but they said that this was happening even when the car was stationary ( engine running higher than the idle ). So according to their saying, when the belt snapped twice the car was not even on the road. Anyway, it is too late to comment on that since I can not built the engine with that belt system to identify the problem since the belt system has been lost. I will be ordering a new set among the other parts for this rebuild.

I understand that the pistons go to bin. What a pity, what a mess.

Just to understand, if the engine ingested some material from outside, would not it also scratch the bore around that tiny valley ? In other words, is it possible to make this kind of form in the bore without leaving any other damage around along the bore or at the piston ?

What would you advice for the bore damage ?

Have a good weekend.
GC_90
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Well Kerem I thought I was good at my job but every day brings some new and interesting failure for me to cope with!

I had Evren's engine on the rig for well over 3 hours altogether, repeated hot and cold starts, off-load rpm up to 4000. Funny how I never snapped the belt on his or anyone elses! Mick Wood did an entire historic round of the FIA last summer with an identical setup. Lost one belt from a stone. One!

For me there are more mysteries associated with my clients than with my engines....

Pressure test the block coolant region and if it is intact just polish the 'pits' with fine carborundun paper to remove any sharp edges. It will need rehoning with Flexhone anyway.

You can delete your own photos - just click on 'edit' and scroll down and delete.
G
Guy Croft, owner
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

...just thinking a bit harder about the 'pit' in cyl 2 - and your point about consequential damage. It could - I imagine - have been caused by the detonation shock wave (which was of extreme intensity) reverberating round the crankcase.

Or swelling of the bore due to the extreme pressure (if there was det in cyl 2) A bit of cast iron then fractured by the wave.

It could possibly be a result of the friction betw the skirt and the bore.

Dunno all in all but it wasn't there at build! I would know!

If anyone has a better idea let's here it. I have seen these before.

G
Guy Croft, owner