Oil Catch tanks

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
badlyworntoy

Oil Catch tanks

Post by badlyworntoy »

Hi
Does anybody have any thoughts about the Correct way to plump an oil catch tank in on the Fiat Twin Cam?
I've read quite alot of text In Guys book about how efficient the 'cyclone' breather is but I'm still strugging to understand why on other engines they is nearly always additional breathing ports on the cam covers.

I'm asking because in the past I've always ran 2, 1/2 or 3/4 inch breather pipes from the engines standard crank case breather and from the either the cam covers and/or the oil filler cap. For example the Sierra Cosworth YB engine has no provision for this so I've usually made a form of windage/deflector baffle and taped into the cam cover at a convienient point.This is usually because all universal catch tanks seem to nearly always have 2 ports. I've always thought this was due to the the vent in the block generally in most applications not being sufficient enough to allow enough breathing under anything more than road car use or am I wrong?

On nearly all the pictures Ive seen, the 8v Fiat Twin Cam, it never seems to have an additional port on the cam cover to aid breathing.Why is this? Can I add one for asthetic reasons to use up the port on my 2 litre Mocal catch tank? oristhis just being silly

Any Help greatly received

Ian
Last edited by badlyworntoy on January 5th, 2012, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Oil Catch tanks

Post by Guy Croft »

On a wet sump variant like yours you should use one catch tank only, connected to the cyclone separator and located above it as shown below.

G
Attachments
catchtank - race legal requirement in most motorsport, oil vapour condenses in it and it traps droplets, gas escapes to atmosphere. A sight gauge is a good idea but on a good engine little oil will ever collect there. Unless you mount it too low!
catchtank - race legal requirement in most motorsport, oil vapour condenses in it and it traps droplets, gas escapes to atmosphere. A sight gauge is a good idea but on a good engine little oil will ever collect there. Unless you mount it too low!
Oil system underbonnet_01.JPG (67.44 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
badlyworntoy

Post by badlyworntoy »

Thanks Guy
I was Planning on using only the one catch tank.On that Morris Minor the pipe on the left hand side of the tank must go to the Cyclone.....the one on the bottom where does that one go?

Ian
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Dunno what the internal layout on that is sorry. Take a look at the one here, will make more sense:

http://www.alloyracingfabrications.com/ ... -tank.html

They do good stuff, I'veseen it.

G