Trunk Release Failure

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
hollypenos

Trunk Release Failure

Post by hollypenos »

I realize that this question may seem mundane, but here goes...My 78 Fiat 124 trunk release lock failed...the problem is my battery is in the trunk and it is disconnected. I have just finished a restoration so the paint is perfect. Most locksmiths are gorillas so I am reluctant to call them. I seems that the mechanism detached from the lock and not the latch. If worse came to worse I could drill behind the licence plate and manually relaease it. Any suggestions? Thank-you in advance Holly
HK #110 & 1996
WhizzMan

Re: Trunk Release Failure

Post by WhizzMan »

Generic response, not tailored to the 124: Can you get in through the rear seats? Any holes in the trunk floor that are sealed with rubber caps that you can open?
Book #348
TomLouwrier

Post by TomLouwrier »

Forget rear seats,they're not folding and the rear bulkhead in the 124 spider is closed.
Problem with locks is that they are meant to keep you out of course. Pretty annoying in cases like this.

I take it this is the version with remote lock? Can you post a pic of the lock and the license plate together in one shot?

regards
Tom
GC_29
hollypenos

Post by hollypenos »

Thank-you for the posts. I found my spare latch so I have the dimensions. Drilling a hole to release it is the only way I will be able the reach the mechanical release without destroying the trunk. I guess it is for the best. It happened in front of my house so I wasn't stranded. I should have this back-up release for the next time it happens. I will keep you posted. Holly
HK #110 & 1996
hollypenos

Post by hollypenos »

Success! I used my spare latch as a template, moved 2-3 cm down and to the left, drilled a 3/4 in hole and now I have a manual release hidden under my license plate. The hardware store had the perfect plug. On another note, the car is running really well after all of Guy's & Robert's expertise. We leaned out the mains on the 40 idf's from 145s to 135s and it is perfect. Rich enough to drop down to the closest town at 4300' and lean enough to purr at 8000' where I live. Best wishes with all of the projects that are being assisted by Guy. Not only is his book the most comprehensive info on the subject, but he is willing to communicate extra tidbits to all of us as well. Well, it is time to button up for the winter. Last year we received over 600" of snow. Sincerely Holly
HK #110 & 1996
hollypenos

Post by hollypenos »

I guess I should tell you what I found...The release bar has become detached from the lock mechanism. If you have a Fiat 124 w/ the remote lock make sure it is securely attached from time to time. I have owned mine for 25 years and this is a first! Holly
HK #110 & 1996
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

Good to hear you found a solution. Next time I get to see a 124, I'll try and figure out a way to get it open without drilling. :)
Book #348
hollypenos

Post by hollypenos »

I have an idea...check the attachments before closing the trunk. If you see the magic way...let us know. It is a blessing in disguise...I have often wondered what would happen if my keys were locked in the trunk in a remote location...now I don't have to worry about that anymore. Have a great day/night everyone! Sincerely Holly
HK #110 & 1996
TomLouwrier

Post by TomLouwrier »

hi Holly,

Glad it worked out. I was on my way to the garage looking for inspiration, but my Spider is an early European model. The lock is right on (in) the latch, over the licence plate and not remote / next to the plate.

I'll see if there's a discreet way of fitting a second release somewhere, maybe a cable that ends behind an exhaust or something.

regards
Tom
GC_29
hollypenos

Post by hollypenos »

Thank-you for the effort. I am glad to say my timing was good ...it snowed the 2 days ago, and my car had been "driven" into the garage. Enjoy your little car. It now brings huge amounts of joy every time I ZOOM it up the mountain roads...Thanks to GC it now has the power to ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM and not putt putt putt. Have Fun! Sincerely Holly
HK #110 & 1996