Rust removal crankcase

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Rust removal crankcase

Post by Abarthnorway - Remi L »

Hi Guy!

As the master of making jewels out of neglected near junk engines I have a very basic question for You.

How do You remove massive amounts of rust from inside the crankcase most effectively? Using carious wire brushes and drill would take ages.....

Picture below does not show the amount of rust properly. it is really covered inside and out.

130 TC block been outside for a winter or 2

Best regards

Remi Lovhoiden
GC_45
WhizzMan

Re: Rust removal crankcase

Post by WhizzMan »

That depends on what you want to do with it. If you still want to use it as an engine, you don't want to acid-dip it. The acid will eat at the precision machined surfaces. If it's going to be a purely decorative piece that will never have an engine function, it's probably the easiest solution.

You could put it in an oven and "bake" it for a few hours. I don't know the temperatures they use, but the idea is that you take all the water molecules out of the rust, without distorting the iron. The second step is media blasting. Take some softer material, like walnut shells, the cores of cherries or some plastic stuff. That way, you won't damage the precision surfaces.
Book #348
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I'm told that vinegar (mild acetic acid) is good in those cases.

I use phosphoric acid solution but you have to test first. Mostly however we use wire brushing as on a very rusty VW 16v below, actually quite a satisfying job outdoors on a sunny day*..

G

* when we ever get one on this rain-soaked island
Attachments
NH 1800 block (18).JPG
NH 1800 block (18).JPG (66.14 KiB) Viewed 20474 times
NH 1800 block (20).JPG
NH 1800 block (20).JPG (63.61 KiB) Viewed 20474 times
NH 1800 block (22).JPG
NH 1800 block (22).JPG (59.93 KiB) Viewed 20474 times
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Post by Abarthnorway - Remi L »

Hi All!

Thanks for the replies - I will try a mix of brushes on a drill and some kind of acid in the places hard to reach.

I do not see the outside of the block as a problem, neither the deck or bores as it needs machining anyway.

How detrimental is the presence of surface rust inside the block to engine life?

Best regards

Remi Lovhoiden
GC_45
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Inside doesn't matter overmuch provided:

1. The coolant passages are scoured to remove deposits that would impede flow. It is important to get a metal spike down the coolant ports (on the block deck) to break them up - they build up like hard sand.
2. The walls of the cylinders are not severely corroded - you see can the walls thru the same ports and at front-rear of the block. The condition of the old coolant core plugs is always a good indicator.
3. It's cleaned out of the oilways with 'gun brushes' - you have to unplug the oilways to do this and the plugs are still aval (this is covered at length in the book). Oil galleries (drillings) are downstream of the oil filter so the brgs are exposed to anything in them. Cleaning must include the drillings in the journal housings and the vertical feed drillings to the head. If the block is a later type like the Integrale with some of those plugged at the block deck it would be wise to unplug to clean.
4. It's dressed off any functional machined regions - like journal housings, main cap mating faces and areas where gaskets are fitted..

You should try and get rid of any 'flaky' (ie: loose debris) but general light rust (corrosion) won't go anywhere. The new oil and filter will aid the cleaning process once the engine is fired up.

Hope that helps,

G
manoa matt

Post by manoa matt »

Remi,

Perform an internet search for "rust removal by electrolysis." An efficient, and frugal method of removing corrosion in hard to reach areas, such as the inner castings of an engine block. Although I am familiar with the process; I cannot comment on the possible, if any, chemical reaction with the auxiliary shaft bearings. Others more knowledgeable in chemistry may know definitively.

Matt
Daveyboy

Post by Daveyboy »

You could try an excellent product made by Bilt Hamber (Search online or call 01277 658899) Deox Gel. Not cheap but it comes in various sizes of pots, the 1000 gram tub bieng good value. You degrease the area you want to de-rust and simply brush it on. Brush on 1-2mm of product, leave for 30-60 mins not allowing it to dry then simply wire brush off any brown sludge. Rinse off and dry immediately, if rust remains repeat until clean metal is reached then wash, dry and immediately spray on some corrosion inhibiter (duck oil or similar)

You can't beat acid and a rotary wire brush though, just cover up well won't you?
GC Book # 103
tricky

Post by tricky »

Better still the same company Dave mentions sell a product call deox-c, which disolves in water and makes a bath of rust removing solution. It is powerfull but totaly safe for ferrous metals, as long as you keep an eye on it every 12 hours or so. One other thing to watch with it is that you must keep the object fully submerged, I found the surface of the solution "eats" a line into the metal for some reason. Once the block is de rusted after usally about 48 hours in cold water ( heated water works in half the time but is a little too viscous imo) the block needs to be put on a stand and jet washed very thouroughly before oiling.

I have some photos but they need re-sizing, once I work that out I'l post them !
Twice as many valves
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Bought some of this the other day and tried it today, to be frank no different from the phosphoric acid solution we normally use but nonetheless quite effective. It does - like all these type solutions - have to be rinsed off with water and not left on too long (or it stains ferrous materials white). Doesn't attack bearings - not if you follow the instructions anyhow. Water-rinse would have to be with some detergent with anti-corrosion additive, else the part will just start rusting again.

G
Attachments
Wurth rust remover
Wurth rust remover
IMG_3567.JPG (60.17 KiB) Viewed 20371 times
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

I have found that most of the chemicals you can buy to remove rust, have phosphoric acid as their main ingredient. I've tried "Ultra strong tile and bathroom cleaner" with a high phosphoric acid content and it worked just fine. Since it's only a cleaning product and not some form of special motor trade thing, the price is a lot lower. Just look around in your local DIY store and find a cleaning product that has a high phosphoric acid content and make certain it doesn't contain ingredients that could hurt your iron. Try on something not worth saving anyway to see if it does the job, before you put your precious parts in there.
Book #348
Daveyboy

Post by Daveyboy »

Guy you mention detergents with anti corrosive additives, is there anything in particular you reccommend?
GC Book # 103
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

The only one I can quote readily (and without reservation) is GUYSON Formula 10 Plus, 25 liter containers.

http://www.guyson.co.uk/wash/index3.html#detergent

Guyson are responsive, helpful and very fast. Kindly mention my name if you contact them.

G
4v6

Post by 4v6 »

Another vote for the Deox C stuff as Iv'e just done a heavily rusted fuel tank out with it.
It's come out extremely well I think.
Heavily rusted tank, been sat for over 20 years.
Heavily rusted tank, been sat for over 20 years.
P1030926.jpg (202.95 KiB) Viewed 10425 times
After rust removal, very much cleaner.
After rust removal, very much cleaner.
P1030980.jpg (163.45 KiB) Viewed 10425 times
After rust removal I've sealed the tank with a product from the "por15" people.
Tank painted out.
Tank painted out.
P1030984 (1000 x 750).jpg (108.31 KiB) Viewed 10425 times
Tony Warren. GC #96.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

LINK PLEASA!

G
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Thanks for your kind pm Tony please post the link here..

G