Rust removal crankcase

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
4v6

Re: Rust removal crankcase

Post by 4v6 »

Tony Warren. GC #96.
Daveyboy

Post by Daveyboy »

Guy Croft wrote:The only one I can quote readily (and without reservation) is GUYSON Formula 10 Plus, 25 liter containers.

http://www.guyson.co.uk/wash/index3.html#detergent

Guyson are responsive, helpful and very fast. Kindly mention my name if you contact them.

G
Thanks Mr.C
GC Book # 103
Infectus-Guy

Post by Infectus-Guy »

Im not sure how powerful it is, but I don't think ultrasonics will harm anything it shouldn't.
Guy
GC book #182
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Well, you'd need very large ultrasonic tank to clean a crankcase - these machines are extremely expensive and few but the wealthiest companies could afford to retain such a machine.

And they would not be attracted to the idea of putting a large dirty item in their (very) expensive fluid so would insist on extreme cleaning first and then present you with a very big bill for the pleasure of putting it in there for a few minutes.

By which time - and in consideration of the cost and travel involved - heck, you might as well clean it yourself by one of the aforementioned methods.

G
Urbancamo

Post by Urbancamo »

What about soda blasting (if available)...very effective, won't harm anything, leaves very little residue wich can be washed off with water.

I've personally washed several different items in ultrasonic washer and it won't remove rust, otherwise it will clean very nicely. Lastly washed very oxidized SU carbs (fuel residue etc.) and did wonderful job on that.
GC_25
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Yes, well, cleaning small parts with ultrasonic is all well and good, a crankcase is another matter. I have a Guyson blast cabinet with extractor & filtration and they are the best around, coupled to a seriously big air supply. I have tried blasting many media but the problem with something like soda (I have even tried sugar) is it shatters on contact and makes a heck of a mess. After a few seconds you can't see a thing. And then the cabinet has to be laboriously cleaned-up and likely the expensive filters will be ruined too.

Vacublast method (with hot water and some suitable media, certainly not alumumium oxide which clogs up all the oilways) might be effective never tried it. I have received parts in here 'cleaned' by that method with allyox grit and you can never get them clean.

One must be mindful too that soda is strongly alkaline and liable to eat away the precious auxiliary driveshaft bearings which you just can't get now far less the stepped reamer to cut them to size after installation.

All in all I would avoid any blasting on crankcases or any component where the oilways cannot be accessed fully for post-blast cleaning. Media in oilways on startup will tear the oil pump and any other part in proximity when the oil starts to flow thru them - to pieces.

GC