Lancia Integrale 8V engine misfiring problem.

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Lancia Integrale 8V engine misfiring problem.

Post by Guy Croft »

To avoid high injector inspection/test costs:

If you take out the plugs and put a small butane torch near the plug hole you can crank over and see the flame from injected fuel. It goes without saying that it's a pretty big flame so yes there is a fire risk, but it's a quick and easy way of seeing what's coming in.

Cranking with the injectors spraying into graduated bottles (large medical syringes are ideal) is another good test. You can examine the delivery which needs to be close to equal. This can generate a LOT of gasoline vapour and a stray spark can set fire to the car, so be careful and keep a CO2 extinguisher to hand with someone on 'fire watch'. Gasoline leaks can 'torch' an engine bay in seconds.

It is not unusual for debris to collect in the fuel rail - give it a good clean.

G
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Have you checked the resistence of the injectors? - easily done on most cars with an automotive voltmeter.

I had a problem with mine a while back (basically wiring was failing and caused the injectors to fail intermittently). According to my manual my injectors should be 16ohms, but one measured 34. I don't know what yours should be but they should all be very similar.

Alternatively is it possible that the Lancia integrale ECU has a 'safe' mode, whereby revs/speed/boost are limited as the ECU thinks something is wrong?
Chris Burgess
GC 01
hybrid565

Post by hybrid565 »

Hi Mr. Croft. That does sound a bit dangerous but definitely effective in finding out how the injectors are performing. A friend of mine actually has an illuminated fiber optic scope that i believe may be ideal in this particular situation. I shall give him a call and borrow it. Regarding cleaning the fuel rail I will do so. Many thanks for your advice sir.

Hi Mr. Nobby. I will check on the resistance of the injectors. Now regarding the ECU going into safe or limp mode I'm not too familiar if integrale's have said feature. Thanks so much for your input sir.
hybrid565

Post by hybrid565 »

Hi Gentlemen,

The problem on my integrale seems to be solved. As per previous suggestions of Mr. Croft and others I removed the injectors and fuel rail and cleaned them. They were very clean. With the help of a Lancia workshop manual and your suggestions I was able to find the resistance values of the sensors and tested them all. The water temperature sensor was defective so I replaced it. I then adjusted the gap on the crank angle sensor cause it was a bit off. The adjustment of the throttle position sensor was off too so I adjusted it too.

The car is now running very well except for one minor problem. Even on overboost mode the boost does not want to go beyond 0.8 bar. It's supposed to hit 1 bar. I'm thinking about by-passing the overboost function and just going with an adjustable boost controller set at 1 bar to be on the safe side. Any feedback on this? I do have an upgraded fuel pump so I believe at just 1 bar of boost I'll be very safe in regards to detonation.

Thanks so much to everyone that has given me invaluable advice. It's highly appreciated.
kpsig

Post by kpsig »

Hello
May I ask how you adjusted the gap of the crank sensor?
tricky

Post by tricky »

If you change to an aftermarket boost controller you will loose the saftey fetures from the std ecu. The low overboost is most likely caused by a tired wastegate actuator which, just needs an adjustment to bring it back to spec.
hybrid565

Post by hybrid565 »

kpsig wrote:Hello
Hi Mr. Kpsig,

There is a bracket that holds the crank angle sensor. The bracket is affixed with 2 bolts. I first set the crank pulley on #1 TDC which puts the protrusion on the crank pulley directly aligned with the sensor itself. Loosen the 2 bolts on the bracket, then with a feeler gauge set the gap between the sensor and protrusion anywhere between 0.6 and 1.2 mm. I then tightened the bolts and re-checked it. I set my gap at 1.0 mm.

Lancia actually has a tool to help set the gap but I don't have the tool so I had to go through this method. If it will help, the part number of the tool is 1895895000.
hybrid565

Post by hybrid565 »

tricky wrote:If you change to an aftermarket boost controller you will loose the saftey fetures from the std ecu. The low overboost is most likely caused by a tired wastegate actuator which, just needs an adjustment to bring it back to spec.
Hi Mr. Tricky,

Thanks for your input. I most definitely don't want to destroy the engine on my car. I'll pull out the wastegate actuator and adjust it.

Thanks so much sir.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

MODEL THREAD!

Well done everyone who contributed.

Long-distance fault-finding can be fearsomely difficult and I'm impressed by how you all 'got your thinking caps on' and did your best to help.

GC
hybrid565

Post by hybrid565 »

Hi Mr. Croft,

I totally agree with you! Diagnosing and repairing a car located in the Philippines through posts in a website is truly difficult if, and I repeat if, the people diagnosing the problem are ill equipped in automotive aspects to do so. Because of you and other members, who's talents were all pooled together, the problem with my misfiring integrale was solved.

Mere words cannot convey the appreciation I feel for all the help and advice that I have received.

It makes me thus realize the importance of your protocols. Due to your said protocols you have managed to filter out the want to be's and actually have members who all share great mechanical know-how that have converged in one elite website all focused on helping and advising one another.

Again my utmost gratitude and appreciation for all who have helped me solve this problem. I'm very proud and very happy to be granted membership in your website Mr. Croft. This is truly a MODEL WEBSITE that exists for only the elite few.
kpsig

Post by kpsig »

hybrid565 wrote:
kpsig wrote:Hello
Hi Mr. Kpsig,

There is a bracket that holds the crank angle sensor. The bracket is affixed with 2 bolts. I first set the crank pulley on #1 TDC which puts the protrusion on the crank pulley directly aligned with the sensor itself. Loosen the 2 bolts on the bracket, then with a feeler gauge set the gap between the sensor and protrusion anywhere between 0.6 and 1.2 mm. I then tightened the bolts and re-checked it. I set my gap at 1.0 mm.

Lancia actually has a tool to help set the gap but I don't have the tool so I had to go through this method. If it will help, the part number of the tool is 1895895000.
Thank you very much
hybrid565

Post by hybrid565 »

Hi Mr. Kpsig,

You're most welcome.

Manuel