Lancia Delta integrale 8V head oil channels

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
samo

Lancia Delta integrale 8V head oil channels

Post by samo »

Hello everybody.

I have a problem with engine heads for my 8V integrale.

To make the long story short. The original head I had on the engine has been resurfaced at an angle (that was before I got it) and after leveling it it became quite low also I noticed that the exhaust valves are not original. At the same time I have managed to obtain one more head that came of a 8v evo car and I have had this one renewed with new valve guides, 3 angle valve seats cut..... and I am planing to use this head.

The problem is that the later head has a diferent oil channels layout! Please look at the attached picture for explonation. The head marked with I is the original one and the II is the newer model with less holes. So i would like to know if the engine block and the new head are compatible?
Attachments
The older head has more holes (marekd with red).
The older head has more holes (marekd with red).
glave.JPG (108.94 KiB) Viewed 5781 times
Limited edition #317
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Lancia Delta integrale 8V head oil channels

Post by Guy Croft »

These are very confusing!

Quite simply you will have to trace & follow the oil route precisely to the 3 cam journals on inlet and ex side and make very sure they are fed with pressurised oil.

This means examining the feeds from the block, the head and the cam boxes and their gaskets too.

Sorry it is the only way to be sure the thing is lubricated properly.

G
tricky

Post by tricky »

Maybe for some bizzare reason, the holes have been welded up. If you can't get to the bottom of it and as a last resort, lay a gasket on top and drill a 3mm hole where the hole should be as a test, you might find an oilway underneath. If thats the case then open all of them out to correct diameter, blow through with an airline to check they feed to the area that they should. Obviously clean out thouroghly and de-burr.
Twice as many valves
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

tricky wrote:Maybe for some bizzare reason, the holes have been welded up. If you can't get to the bottom of it and as a last resort, lay a gasket on top and drill a 3mm hole where the hole should be as a test, you might find an oilway underneath. If thats the case then open all of them out to correct diameter, blow through with an airline to check they feed to the area that they should. Obviously clean out thouroghly and de-burr.
Are you saying that the head that came with his engine the I head, has been welded up? I don't think he will be wanting to use that head anymore, but it would be a good explanation for the difference.
Book #348
samo

Post by samo »

It hasent been welded up that is sure. It has not been touched until I recived it. Castings have different serial numbers so they are different items. Also one had the old cam covers and the other had the newer "low profile" cambox covers. I have been warned never to mix up cam-boxes because you can loose oil provisioning to the camshafts. Will try to investigate the oil channels.

Can anyone tell me how the head is feed with oil? Is there only one in-line and several drain holes ?
Limited edition #317
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

It has not been welded there are different versions.

You need to follow the oil routes as I told you. That is what even I have to do in those cases, make sure the head, block and camboxes are compatible.

GC
samo

Post by samo »

I traced the oil channels and I think that the older (more channels) and newer models of heads are interchangable as long as I use the new head + new camboxes on the old block.

Older head on the new block would I belive also work as long as you use the new camboxes. The biggest problem is with the older revison of the cambox where you get oil starvation.
Limited edition #317