Lancia 1600 'carb' turbo, inlet manifold.

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
roseglen

Lancia 1600 'carb' turbo, inlet manifold.

Post by roseglen »

Hello Mr Croft.

Hopefully this is a simple question about my Lancia engine that I should have finished soon.

Lancia Delta 1600TC carburettor turbo engine.

Engine cylinder head - standard valve sizes, fully flowed out with 35mm Dia inlet ports and everything done by the book or DVD (but not by me as done before owning the engine).

Was believed to be one of your worked cyclinder heads (spoke to you about this before) but on removing some sharp edges and the lack of your stamp/numbers has told me otherwise at last, but it appears to be done to a very high level.

I have found that the inlet manifold is still totaly standard with smaller rough cast ports at 30mm Dia.

Has the inlet manifold been left standard for a reason? (Negative pressure waves maybe)

The engine has always run like a dream, its power and performace being amazing even on standard boost.

Should I open up, clean out and smooth up the inlet manifold? Or should I leave well alone?

I have Book 1 (well read now) book 2 and your DVD but never found anything about carb turbo inlets, as I'd expect 90% or more turbos are injection anyway if that makes sense. I am still reading your new book but have not been able to find the answer I'm looking for yet (great book, don't know how you do it with all the infomation listed out).

Thank you Oliver.
Last edited by roseglen on December 13th, 2010, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roseglen

Re: Lancia 1600 'carb' turbo, inlet manifold.

Post by roseglen »

pics below to show parts described in previous post
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I'm trying to reply to this with advice and my internet access has bombed 3 times

G
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

1. Open up the runners as far as you can to dia 32-33mm, keep wall thickness to 3-4mm
2. Match the exit region to the inlet port and give the runner a progressive taper into the 33-34 diameter
3. Smooth thru at 80 grit or 120 (I use a Flexhone as it can get round the bend)
4. Radius any sharp edges in the plenum and finish as runners.

This will all pay off in terms of efficiency, power and throttle response.

This is the abridged version as I am having posting probs

G
Attachments
flowtest shows how good basic curves are at plenum.jpg
flowtest shows how good basic curves are at plenum.jpg (116.69 KiB) Viewed 4940 times
final flow results.jpg
final flow results.jpg (112.26 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
closeup of finished inlet manifold.jpg
closeup of finished inlet manifold.jpg (109.76 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
closeup of finished inlet manifold (1).jpg
closeup of finished inlet manifold (1).jpg (111.91 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
closeup of finished inlet manifold (2).jpg
closeup of finished inlet manifold (2).jpg (111.44 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
roseglen

Post by roseglen »

Just what I needed to know, will be busy over the christmas holidays now.

Thank you for all the infomation.

Oliver