NEW GC DVD - IDEAS?

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

NEW GC DVD - IDEAS?

Post by Guy Croft »

I'd like to make a new instructional dvd, say 1-1.5hr long at GCRE.

Any suggestions, readers?

Biggest vote gets it.

Many thanks,

GC
tmvolumex

Re: NEW GC DVD - IDEAS?

Post by tmvolumex »

How about a DVD detailing dyno testing a new engine (more than one engine would be even better).
This would include start up, initial runs, analyzing the data, making changes to timing, jetting, cam timing, measuring exhaust backpressure, etc
Tom
GC_31
tricky

Post by tricky »

I'd second that notion. Especialy something injection and turbo included, dyno tuning must be the most un spoken about topic almost a black art still and a DVD would be a perfect medium to present the facts. I know Guy does'nt have an engine dyno so I don't know how plausable it would be.
Twice as many valves
4v6

Post by 4v6 »

Porting techniques of multivalve heads would be interesting.

The dyno ideas also a good one, but i cannot see huge value in injection or turbos being included as the air fuel ratios would all be being monitored anyway for a carb equipped motor, so youd maybe get bogged down in the intricacies of the way the injection worked ( pulse widths etc) rather than the bare bones of what happens when you change fuelling/ignition/cams etc.

In any event, ill invest in it!
Tony Warren. GC #96.
Infectus-Guy

Post by Infectus-Guy »

I'd like to see a quick tour of your "must have" tools.
Guy
GC book #182
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

How about the "lost" art of setting up a carbed engine with mechanical ignition advance? Just for record keeping, it would be great if someone would detail setting up a set of dellos and a set of webers from scratch. The same applies to working with vacuum boxes, springs and weights to get the most optimal advance curves for ignition.
Book #348
dflinkmann

Post by dflinkmann »

I would love to see a second episode of the head prep dvd.
i.e. multivalve work on Fiat and other marque heads. (what to do with intake splits etc).

Daniel
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I am reading these, yes...

G
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Post by Abarthnorway - Remi L »

Hi Guy!

My personal suggestion:

Make a DVD with the main goal of catching peoples attention regarding the potential in their own engines.
Get them involved and interested in what You are doing, and how You do it.
This way more people will be tempted to investigate further into these engines, and tuning in particular.
A story showing a rusty old Fiat engine being converted into a real hot race engine are high on my list!

example:

Real Life Fiat/Lancia "Old School" Race Engine Building - from scratch to finish.

1) Definition of targets and characteristics of engine to be built.
2) Defining specifications and parts needed to achieve these targets and characteristics.
3) Donor engine strip, clean, inspect, machining, modifying, measuring, dressing of parts, build including tools & techniques and parts.
The focus on this part can be limited, as this part are best covered in Your books, previous DVD and on Your website.
4) Fitment of carbs/ignition/exhaust etc, then finally running in and dyno testing.
5) Result Analysis
6) Engine performance in car - preferably under race condition.

With this You would be able to show us the basics of a proper engine build, and at the same time show off what Your business is really about.
For us to be able to watch Your practical work, and see the achievable results are extremely useful, and gives - at least for me - a boost in interest for the preservation of these cars and engines.

A problem will be to limit it to 1,5 hrs! But even a basic story regarding a specific engine build, would be highly appreciated. Film and sound are extremely powerful media, and with a good story to tell, I am pretty sure more people will rip their engines apart and do some serious engine building. A lot of the in-depth-details regarding engine building can be found other places like Your book, and very much also on this very site! As I learned from Your first set of DVDs a lot of vital information can be picked up while watching You working, even if not specificly commented. The pictures, film and sounds of the engine and build might tell more than a thousand details.

Regardless of Your subject of choice - put me on the list of buyers.

Good luck!

Best regards

Remi Lovhoiden
GC_45