Crank Pulley Variations and Piston Pin Clip fitment

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Crank Pulley Variations and Piston Pin Clip fitment

Post by Abarthnorway - Remi L »

Hi Guy!

Currently rebuilding a 130 TC block with 60000 kms - to mostly original specs - this time for my own use!

I have decided to reuse the pistons as the bores are barely worn, just a flexhone and new rings...... All cylinders/pistons are within Fiat specs.

I have a few questions regarding this engine.

1) How to fit piston pin clips??
I never seem to learn how to refit the piston pin clips properly without sending them all over the room....., and this time when using new clips (4 - only one side..) I just cannot get them in.
I am not too keen on bending the clips as I am afraid the tension will be to low afterwards. Any tip appreciated.

2) Crank pulley varieties??
The crank pulley on the right in the pictures below comes from a 130 TC, the left a 124. The 130 TC types I have seen before have had similar grooves as the 124, but this one is different as it has deeper and wider grooves in the middle section... This will sabotage my plan to use a GC 1" belt, unless I source another pulley. Have You seen this before?

3) Croma Crank??
As the 130 TC crank have gone into another engine, a Croma crank has been put to use. This has fewer oil drillings on the mains and rodjournals. The crank has been balanced and modified oilways. Will the Croma cranksacrifice reliability?

Thank You!

Best regards

Remi Lovhoiden

Mystery 130 tc crank pulley on the right....

Closeup

130 TC pistons with new rings

Only pin clips missing

Block painted, new core plugs

Flexhoned cylinders
GC_45
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Crank Pulley Variations and Piston Pin Clip fitment

Post by Guy Croft »

1) How to fit piston pin clips??
I never seem to learn how to refit the piston pin clips properly without sending them all over the room....., and this time when using new clips (4 - only one side..) I just cannot get them in.
I am not too keen on bending the clips as I am afraid the tension will be to low afterwards. Any tip appreciated.

Almost impossible to fit the OE pin clips without the factory tool

2) Crank pulley varieties??
The crank pulley on the right in the pictures below comes from a 130 TC, the left a 124. The 130 TC types I have seen before have had similar grooves as the 124, but this one is different as it has deeper and wider grooves in the middle section... This will sabotage my plan to use a GC 1" belt, unless I source another pulley. Have You seen this before?

Actually the toothform (3/8 trapezoidal auto pitch) is identical, your 130TC is just quite well worn.

3) Croma Crank??
As the 130 TC crank have gone into another engine, a Croma crank has been put to use. This has fewer oil drillings on the mains and rodjournals. The crank has been balanced and modified oilways. Will the Croma cranksacrifice reliability?

You will probably find that the big end drillings are bigger although fewer in number and this was probably a reasonable cost-saving measure by Fiat. It will not cause any reliability problems. I assume you know the Croma one is designed for the crank nose driven oil pump (unless it's an early Croma model I have not seen) and not compatible with the crank front seal seatup of the earlier engines.
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Re: Crank Pulley Variations and Piston Pin Clip fitment

Post by Abarthnorway - Remi L »

Guy.

Thank You!

http://guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2293

Best regards

Remi Lovhoiden
GC_45