GC3A cam dowel location.

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Abarthnorway - Remi L

GC3A cam dowel location.

Post by Abarthnorway - Remi L »

Hi Guy!

I suspect an obvious answer to this one, but I just could not find an answer when searching the site:

Do Your GC3A cam have the same dowel location as std Fiat cams?

The reason I am asking is that I will soon perform a cam upgrade to a Fiat 124, using Your 3A as inlet cam. As the current cams are already timed up using adjustable cam wheels, it would save me the job of measuring/degreeing the cam before fitment.

Thanks a lot - as always!!

Short story of car underneath..

Best regards

Remi Lovhoiden

Current specs from build 2009:

10:1+ pistons - fully balanced crank/flywheel
130 TC head - 36 mm parallel intake - 34 mm exhaust + valve + guide + seat mods
Ported waffle manifold - 35mm runners
44 IDF - 36 chokes, F16, 145 mains, 175 air
Inlet cam billet - 10.45 true valve lift, 280 degrees, 2.5 lift TDC(at 110) - timed 112
Exhaust cam 1608 - used (9.2 - 9.3 lift on lobes) - timed 112
Exhaust manifold 4-2 cast iron into 2-1 secondary pipes - (standard 1800 sport) - 2 " free flow system from manifold and back

After now finally being able to get to drive Michel Ostovics mint 74 spider for some time I have concluded the following:
The engine is now extremely flexible, pulling full throttle from as low as 1300 in fifth!! Indeed very drivable - bit like a tractor;-)....
Anyway the top end power/torque feels a little low, and the power seems to drop off quite rapidly from 6000 even though it still pulls higher.

To remedy the lack of punch at top end both cams will now be changed and retimed to 110/110. Especially the exhaust cam seems to be a bit weak comparing to the rest of the engine specs.
(This is commented by Guy Croft in another post - even though the initial problem was actually ignition related (thanks anyway!))

We have decided to use the current inlet cam as exhaust cam, and installing a GC3A as inlet cam.

Hopefully this camchange will do the trick, without sacrificing too much low end tractability.

Remi
GC_45
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: GC3A cam dowel location.

Post by Guy Croft »

They probably do - but there is no substitute for dialling in the cams with dial gauge & protractor Remi!!

GC
Attachments
Cam timing and fitting data - TC.doc
CAM TIMING - GC 'HOW TO'
(42 KiB) Downloaded 440 times
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Hi Guy!!

Thanks a lot for the honest answer - as always!

Will rig up everything, measure, degree, mark, adjust the proper way.... again.

No substitute for precision and peace of mind is there...? ;-)

Best regards

Remi Lovhoiden
GC_45
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Hi again Guy!

Another question for You Sir.....

I just realised over coffee this morning that I have a - new to me - practical challenge.

The "normal" procedule of marking Full Lift and TDC positions on the cam flange and on the backside of the camhousing is not a practical solution in this case.
As the engine is a 2 liter and taller than the original one, the cam housings sit very very close to a section of the firewall. To get a good look there when adjusting the camwheels will be close to impossible especially on the exhaust side.

I am in no doubt there will be ways to solve this, but If You have a solution to this
I see no reason in trying to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks again

Remi Lovhoiden - (aka hobby mechanic)
GC_45
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I never advocate changing cams in-situ!

G
Abarthnorway - Remi L