Oil pressure enhancement

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
F138

Oil pressure enhancement

Post by F138 »

Hello Guy,

I remember you gave a hint for the thickness of a washer under the bypass spring at the Oilpump at 2L TC engines to have a better oil pressure.
Can you repeat this?

Thank you in advance
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Oil pressure enhancement

Post by Guy Croft »

2mm

GC
F138

Post by F138 »

Thank you, Guy.
Sealord69

Post by Sealord69 »

My Oilpump already had a very small OE washer under the spring and by disassemble the pump it feel down and was never seen anymore. I don't know the thickness of the standard washer I think it maybe max 0.5mm. Is 2mm in that case still right or should I take 2,5mm?
The standard M12 washer has 2.5mm the M10 washer has 2mm. If 2mm is enough I have to raise the hole of the M10 hole a little bit.

Nils
GC_34
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

yes, the standard washer in the Fiat TC 2 liter was about 0.5m thick, it was not there to raise oil pressure but simply to stop the spring cutting into the alloy pickup body.

You don't need to pack-up the spring unless you are using oil cooler and other accessories which would reduce the pressure due to the length of the hose and number of fittings etc. 2mm thick is about right. If too thick - the relief valve will be jammed shut. Any washer will do really as long as it is steel and fits flat.

G
Spider 1969

Post by Spider 1969 »

Hi Guy,

I'm fitting a thermostat controlled oil cooler (MOCAL 13 row) to my new 1800 engine and would like to compensate for the pressure loss. The (new) OE pump has a 3 mm thick washer installed. I double checked another OE used pump and it had the same 3 mm thick washer. As I'm not familiar with the differences in spring and relief valve dimensions between the 1800 and 2000 oil pumps I'm not sure if adding an extra 1.5 mm as above mentioned will be sufficient or too much to compensate.

I'd highly appreciate your advice in this matter.

Sincerely,

Charles
GC_26
Spider 1969

Post by Spider 1969 »

Guy advised on this subject through mail and I post his answer and my experience for sharing below:

"You can pack up the spring but make sure that on full
compression that the top of the relief valve sits where you see it in the
photo. Flush with flange (or lower) but not higher, too high and it will not
function properly. I would not pack up more than 1mm extra (in addtion to
the 1800 thick washer) in any case.
Be sure to prime the pump with a mix of moly grease and oil or you will
never get oil pressure. When bolting up the pump turn the aux driveshaft to
make sure the oil pump shaft is not binding."

My experience:
I found out that on my early 1800 pump that the top of the valve was flush with the flange using the standard washer and that the spring was fully compressed. Hence it is not possible to ad more washers on these pumps. This concerns early 1800 or 1608 pumps as these are identical.

Regards,

Charles
Attachments
maximum relief valve height with spring fully compressed.JPG
maximum relief valve height with spring fully compressed.JPG (41.67 KiB) Viewed 26408 times
GC_26
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Charles, with respect,

you are measuring in the wrong place, it is the flange you measure to not the tip of the valve..

GC
Guy Croft, owner