Lancia Delta HF Turbo inlet cam swap

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Infectus-Guy

Lancia Delta HF Turbo inlet cam swap

Post by Infectus-Guy »

Hello Guy,
The aforementioned car is a 1989 Delta HF Turbo i.e. which i have fitted a 16v Integrale T3 turbo to. It was a very tight squeeze and needed a clearance cut out of the front cross member to give the compressor housing clearnace (see photo). Along with a supersprint exhaust, cone inlet filter and boost tweeked up to 0.9 bar it made 191.8 bhp on the rolling road (see photo), which i was very happy with considering the low budget.
For my next move I have been pointed towards the non turbo GT i.e. throttle body, which has a 56mm bore compared to the stock HF turbo bore of 52mm. I thought this made pretty good sense. The other thing that was suggested was to try which i'm not so sure about, is to fit the inlet cam from the GT i.e. as it has a greater lift than the turbo cam. I know lift isn't everything, but i was wondering if you can shed any light on this idea. With your guidance, I am willing to try it out (at my own risk of course!) if you think i will get any kind of gain.
Thanks for any help you can give me,
Guy
Attachments
T301.jpg
T301.jpg (75.27 KiB) Viewed 8363 times
T302.jpg
T302.jpg (65.88 KiB) Viewed 8361 times
T303.jpg
T303.jpg (65.69 KiB) Viewed 8362 times
RR01.jpg
RR01.jpg (50.45 KiB) Viewed 8360 times
GC book #182
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Lancia Delta HF Turbo inlet cam swap

Post by Guy Croft »

You won't find any difference from a bigger throttle body but the cam change will be very beneficial. You can't just swap in situ - you need to measure piston to valve clearance. The n/a cam will have more lift around tdc (not just at tdc btw)

G
Attachments
Cam timing and fitting data - TC.doc
(39 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
If your valve reliefs (VRs) are big enough you can have a lot of lift at TDC as this GC 8V Integrale head has with a cam pair ground up for me by Kent for 'Gp A replica' rally in Australia. Always check piston-valve clearance - never swap cams in-situ..
If your valve reliefs (VRs) are big enough you can have a lot of lift at TDC as this GC 8V Integrale head has with a cam pair ground up for me by Kent for 'Gp A replica' rally in Australia. Always check piston-valve clearance - never swap cams in-situ..
D21 014.jpg (112.17 KiB) Viewed 8233 times
You can set the cams at their tdc pos and simply press the piston onto them with modelling clay in the VRs - if the proximity of valve to piston is generous you could dispense with the full dry build if you're in a hurry (I would not). In this case I'm building the head not the full engine and I want a pretty good idea before I ship that the mechanic isn't going to have major dramas during build - yes I did tell him to do the full dry build with belt on to be certain.
You can set the cams at their tdc pos and simply press the piston onto them with modelling clay in the VRs - if the proximity of valve to piston is generous you could dispense with the full dry build if you're in a hurry (I would not). In this case I'm building the head not the full engine and I want a pretty good idea before I ship that the mechanic isn't going to have major dramas during build - yes I did tell him to do the full dry build with belt on to be certain.
D21 003.jpg (451.6 KiB) Viewed 8227 times
..as you can see, 4.5 vert clearance - but note that these D21's have a deep bowl and are also running 0.5mm below block deck. The VRs in the HF are pretty small..
..as you can see, 4.5 vert clearance - but note that these D21's have a deep bowl and are also running 0.5mm below block deck. The VRs in the HF are pretty small..
D21 009.jpg (114.65 KiB) Viewed 8226 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

My job isn't just give advice - it's to advise too.

I don't like the look of the old clips and plain rubber hose in the picture. It's going to be pretty hot there.

May be wrong, just being 'GC-ish' about things.

G
Attachments
T303.jpg
T303.jpg (63.57 KiB) Viewed 8221 times
Infectus-Guy

Post by Infectus-Guy »

Thanks for the advice, its nice to hear at least the cam will make a difference.

I shall have the whole head off as i want to upgrade the gasket to something a bit more hardy (recommendations?), despite changing the cambox gaskets i'm convinced my standard head gasket is weeping oil on the offside front corner (is this possible as i'm getting no water/oil contamination?). I'm hoping to get the car trackworthy as its going on castlecoombe in april, i'm not sure the officials would appreciate little drops of Lancia oil everywhere!

With regards to the hoses/clips you are absolutely right and I couldn't agree more. Those photos are from last summer when I gave it its first shakedown maiden voyage with the bigger turbo. The aforementioned scabby clips have since been replaced with new items and you'll be pleased to know I've just bought some SFS air/water hoses which should be fine with some heat shield wrap around the turbo feed/return.

Thanks for your time and I will of course be documenting the cam swap, and if successful be showing you some new rolling road results.

Guy
Attachments
Really impressed with the quality of these hoses, despite the price tag..!
Really impressed with the quality of these hoses, despite the price tag..!
SFShft.jpg (131.23 KiB) Viewed 8154 times
GC book #182
Haymanracing

Post by Haymanracing »

Hi Infectus_guy - i have read a full post on your car, some awesome engineering has gone in there. Did you ever carry out this swap ? i have been told that 130TC cams are the way to go. Did you ever do the cam swap using Delta GTie inlet cam ? Do you know if any of the cams in question work ?
I Am Carl.
Infectus-Guy

Post by Infectus-Guy »

Thanks, yes i used the GTie inlet cam and it certainly felt a lot perkier on boost, but no before and after dyno charts i'm afraid. Unfortunately I have no idea about any other cam swaps though. I've actually changed to a much smaller turbo now, T25 from a Saab 9000 with a Fiat coupe 20vt T28 hot end because i wanted the V band to aid forgiving exhaust design.
Guy
GC book #182
Haymanracing

Post by Haymanracing »

Nice - makes sense. Mines the mark 1 HF turbo with the carb turbo engine, so its the same, but different. I had it dyno'ed about a month ago @ 130 front wheel hp (they are spec'ed at 130 flywheel hp from factory) so i was really happy with the result given that i haven't modified much apart from a front mounted intercooler, a 2-1/2" mandrel bent exhaust, a boost tap, and cold air box with pod filter running 10psi of boost on a factory T3. I've just had the head off and cleaned everything up, polished and port matched the intake/exhaust ports in the head and manifolds, and had the carb rejetted to flow more fuel where it was running lean up top, so im hoping that with 11psi and the port matching etc, i might get to 140 front wheel hp which would be nice. Like you i've set the car up as a tarmac/hillclimb car - full cage, big brakes, 15" wheels with sticky tyres etc etc. I have been offered a couple of 2 litre dohc NA intake cams of which i understand are all very similar, so was hoping that might be the next cheap upgrade.
I Am Carl.