130TC engine mated to a 131 gearbox

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
mickt48

130TC engine mated to a 131 gearbox

Post by mickt48 »

Dear Guy,

I hope you don¢ž¢t mind me taking up some of your time to help me out as I¢ž¢m totally new to Fiat engines and gearboxes.

I have a Fiat Strada 130TC engine which has been mated to a Fiat 131 gearbox. This engine was rebuilt and has done about 1200 miles (so I¢ž¢m told). It was fitted to a Kit Car called the Warrior. The engine has been stored for about 2 years but turns fine. I¢ž¢m fitting it to a similar Kit car, T48 corsa spyder for road use.

I have noticed that there is no back plate between engine and gearbox, is this necessary? I noticed that some of the pictures on your website that the engines don¢ž¢t have a back plate. The back plate seems a difficult part to find.

The engine has also been fitted with high compression pistons; I was advised that fitting standard pistons would be more beneficial for road use. Can you give me your valued opinion on the back plate and the pistons?

Regards

Mick Michaelides
Mick M
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Mike, welcome

it is certainly a good idea to have protection plates at the back of the engine to shield the open areas of the gearbox, and on the bellhousing too on the other side. You can make these yourself, the original ones are 0.5mm thick mild steel.

If I had just bought that setup I would certainly take the engine out and check that the gearbox input shaft does not foul the end of the crankshaft, which it will if it's a 130TC crank and the input shaft has not been shortened. The crank must also be fitted with a bearing, normally it's a bush on that FWD engine.

As for pistons you'll be lucky to find any alternatives these days.

GC