Lancia Montecarlo exhaust swap

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
cheitane2003

Lancia Montecarlo exhaust swap

Post by cheitane2003 »

Dear Sir:
I found a Montecarlo exhaust to suit it on my Beta car,do you think it is a good experiment,how many hp can I get from it aprox with dual DCNF Weber carburators?
Thank you very much.
Attachments
imagen_154_136.jpg
imagen_154_136.jpg (78.44 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hi Siro, readers.

Firstly - picture quality.

I am NOT criticising Siro here, we all need to know about this:

I edited this photo of exhaust headers in 1 minute - no more, with Fuji FinePix Viewer sofware from my camera, by resizing to pixels 640 wide x 480 high. The file size is reduced from over 400KB to 78KB, the picture is still plenty big enough to get the message over.

Everyone who has a digital camera has software to download to theircomputer, you MUST go back and check the quality and file size before logging out. I will edit things that aren't right when I get time but my time is better spent writing tech articles, frankly, or at least I suppose it is!

As for the power a lot will depend on the silencer, the gain from just changing the header ot the tubular steel 4-2-1 may be as much as 8bhp at the top end but it may lose some torque at the bottom end. The OE Fiat/Lancia standard header shown is not wrong for standard cams, although different headers with low back-pressure silencer (s) can give quite big bhp gains at high rpm.

If anyone has accurate back to back test data on these two please post - I do not. But - Please remember that except in test cell bench-dyno testing where a huge low-loss silencer is used ( zero back-pressure) the silencer system (mufflers) has a huge bearing on the performance and gains/losses from headers must never be discussed with referring to this.

I think I know (pretty sure) what the muffler looks like for the header on the left, both when it is 'intact' and after it has been cut open. And the news is not good.

What I am saying is that if there is high 'back pressure' from the sound-reduction in the mufflers, that is a very bad thing. See GC V/W (all the power is in the head for more info on this).

GC